- Renmark Riverfront, South Australia
- Tuesday 13°
- Wednesday 20°
BIG4 Renmark Riverfront has a Sensory Room developed for families with a child or children on the autism spectrum. This room has been carefully designed in close consultation with an occupational therapist, a specialist autism teacher and ASD parents. It has all the features you would expect to find in an autism specific educational setting including:
- A lamp projecting lovely blue ocean waves on the ceiling, while playing calming music
- A large free-standing hammock that can be used to rock a toddler or for a full-sized adult to rock themselves
- A large crash mat and weighted blankets/cushions
- A large collection of cushions providing a variety of tactile experiences
- A 'Bilbo' to rock or spin a child in
- A peanut-shaped gym ball to bounce on
- A large time clock to help them 'finish'
- Activity boxes can be requested from reception and these include kinetic sand, play dough, a sensory toy box and colouring supplies.
Team training has been completed with Autism SA, and recent articles written about the Sensory Room include:
- The Good Scout Travel Co: SA Awards Make History.
- BIG4 Holiday Parks: Ground-breaking sensory room at BIG4 Renmark enhances holidays for those with autism.
Feedback about our Sensory Room is been extensive and very rewarding to read:
- "Wonderful inclusive initiative. Congratulations on leading the way in the tourism industry". Judy S.
- "Thank you, you just made my year. We've never done any travelling really because it terrifies me that my son wouldn't cope, and also that the noises he makes would possibly annoy others and ruin their holiday. I have been too scared to try it because I'm terrified we would be asked to leave. This gives me hope. I am buying a tent tomorrow, and will work towards a family trip here someday". Fiona S.
- "Well done to this park and we will hopefully visit here soon". Corriene B.
- This initiative from your management team has left me gobsmacked! I feel so thankful that there are such people who think to cater for all types of families who love to holiday together. I cannot wait to stay at your park for the 1st time one day soon. My 8 year old autistic boy will make GREAT use of your thoughtful sensory room". Nicole K.
- I'm a special education teacher in Adelaide and I am absolutely loving this. Well done BIG4 Riverfront Renmark." Alice J.
We are proud to be part of The Reilly Room Project with an aim to increase the number of sensory rooms available in holiday accommodation in Australia. Find out more here.
This room, coupled with all the other features expected from a top-rated holiday park, makes BIG4 Renmark Riverfront Holiday Park the destination of choice for all families to enjoy an accessible, restful holiday they deserve.